Life Lately: June
I've been feeling really grateful for all the incredible people I surround myself with this month. I mean, I never forget that I have amazing family and friends, but moving back home has definitely made me see this more than ever. I'm not going to lie, when I moved back to Perth, I kind of felt like I'd have to reestablish myself in old friendship groups, but even though I've gone months - and in some instances, even years - without seeing some friends, everything has felt so natural and like we've just picked up right where we left off. It's funny how so much can change, yet so little all at the same time. Maintaining friendships gets so much harder as you get older, but I also think the best kind of friendships are the ones where no matter how long you've gone without speaking to or seeing one another, you know they're always there and everything is so effortless. I love catching up with friends and going home feeling so positive and thankful.
This feeling has also extended to my online friendships too. It really warmed my heart knowing so many people resonated with my How My Relationship with Beauty Has Changed post and I loved reading all your similar, shared experiences. This blog post almost never happened, actually. In the beginning, I only had a few dot points that didn't seem worth writing about, but of course, me being me, I ended up rambling on and it turned into something I'm really quite proud of! The blogging community can be a negative place at times, just like real life can be, but I think if you choose to surround yourself with the right people, it's something you don't even notice. Blogging and having this little online space of mine has done so much for my confidence and to be surrounded by so many like-minded, talented, creative and driven women is something that really inspires me and makes me love blogging even more.
I finally set up my desk this month and it's possibly the most exciting thing that happened to me in June. I realise that sounds incredibly lame, but hey, homewares and organisation are thrilling things to me! My parents let me have a little space upstairs to set it up as my bedroom isn't big enough for one and it's done me a world of good to have my workspace separate. I didn't think it'd make much of difference because I don't really consider my blog work, but I have issues falling asleep when I've been blogging in bed late at night because my mind is still so active and awake. Even if blogging is only a hobby for me, it's still something that requires a lot of effort and thinking, plus I'm still in the process of looking for jobs, so I'm feeling a lot more motivated having a dedicated workspace now. For the two months I was without a desk, I was feeling really sluggish working on my bed and I'd even want to fall back asleep! It was such a gross feeling. My new desk is a lot bigger than my previous one, so it's still looking a bit bare at the moment, but I've just bought a lamp and a mousepad, and will be adding a few more bits and pieces to it slowly, but surely. I'll hopefully have some pictures to show you all next month!
There were some banger albums released in the month of June. I'm sure everyone's standout was Lorde's Melodrama, but I loved Phoenix's Ti Amo and The Drums' Abysmal Thoughts just as much. I feel like all three albums are much more suited to the warmer weather, so I find myself longing for summer whenever I listen to them. I have to admit, I'm not overly into the more downtempo songs from Lorde's new album, but the upbeat, dancey tunes are so spot on. My favourite tracks off Melodrama are Green Light, The Louvre and Perfect Places.
In other new music from June, I also enjoyed Beach Fossils' album Somersault, Panama's Hope for Something EP, as well as the new song by The Horrors called Machine. I had high hopes for alt-J's new release, RELAXER, given how much I love their previous two albums, but it just didn't hit the mark for me. Having said that, I do like the song In Cold Blood, which still sounds like their older stuff.
Film and television
I spent a few days in June binge-watching season 5 of Orange is the New Black and surprisingly, I didn't hate it as much as I thought I would! I went in with pretty low expectations given that everyone's Tweets about it weren't all that great, and even though the latest season wasn't as good as the show's been in the past, it was still highly addictive and intense. I can never stop at just one episode with this show.
Two movies that exceeded my expectations were Bridget Jones's Baby and Absolutely Fabulous: The Movie. I think sequels, trilogies and TV shows made into movies are unnecessary for the most part and I don't think either of these films added any value to their respective stories, but nevertheless, they were nice, easy watches. I also quite enjoyed the Australian coming-of-age movie, Girl Asleep. It lost me when it got a bit too fantastical for my liking, but I think there's something so comforting about watching a movie set in the Australian suburbs and it was laugh-out-loud funny in quite a few scenes too. A few days ago, my mum, sister and I went to the movies to see Wonder Woman and I thought it was great! It was so cool to see a woman take the spotlight and be in power. I really couldn't care less about comic book characters and I'm not too big a fan of the action genre either, but it was the feminist in me that wanted to see it. Also, did anyone else here mistake Chris Pine for a Hemsworth brother? I can't tell any of them apart!
Around the web
- Kimberly Clarke's videos have been a much-needed breath of fresh air in the beauty community. Not only is her Anti-Haul series genius, but her Listen Up! videos are really intelligent and thought-provoking too. Her one on White Privilege is particularly insightful.
- Broken Social Scene have a new song out called Skyline and I love it.
- Awesome new music videos: J-Boy and Goodbye Soleil by Phoenix, I Promise by Radiohead, Girlhood by The Preatures and I Want You Back by HAIM.
- My favourite band in the whole entire world, Cut Copy, are back! This 30-second teaser of new music is giving me life while I impatiently wait for their new album.
- There's been so much good content on my Bloglovin' feed lately! I've been loving these girls in particular: Lavanya of Elle Files, Sophie of Sophie's Makeup, Lily of Pint Sized Beauty and Gemma of Gemma Louise.
- My girl, Rebecca of From Roses, has also been killing it lately too. Her posts Why I'm Not a Girlboss & That's OK and Staying True to Yourself in the Blogging World When You Feel Like You No Longer Fit In resonated with me so much, I couldn't have expressed truer words if I tried. It also put the biggest smile on my face to be mentioned in her other June posts Wonderful Things from This Week & 4 Awesome Sunday Activities and 6 Bloggers Who Made Me Into the Blogger I Am Today. Rebecca and I have been following each others blogs from the beginning and to have her support and encouragement still to this day means the absolute world to me. I truly have the best bloggy friends!