I've been feeling incredibly grateful and humbled this month. 2015 hasn't exactly been the easiest year nor has it turned out the way I'd hoped just yet. It can be easy to let the little things get to you, though there's still so much to be thankful for, especially the beautiful people I have in my life. My best friend, April came to visit me for just a little over a week and now she's on the other side of the world in the UK living it up on her Working Visa. During the Queen's Birthday long weekend, we paid a little trip to the countryside of Wodonga (about a three-hour train ride from Melbourne) to visit our friend, Jodie for her birthday and went on the Rutherglen Winery Walkabout, visiting wineries across the rural area and sampling delicious wine. We crossed the Victoria/New South Wales border into Albury and it was so cool to be a different state for just ten minutes or so! I kind of forgot about my phone that day and didn't even touch my laptop at all that weekend, and it was so lovely to just soak up the winter sun, stomp around in the lush autumn leaves and enjoy nature. I get way too caught up in city life and keeping up with social media sometimes. I want to learn to take take breaks every now and then because I'd forgotten how nice it feels to be present and to just enjoy the moment without any background noise.
Apart from that, we ate the most amazing Mexican at Mamasita, did a little shopping in the city and on April's last night, we unexpectedly ended up getting ridiculously drunk and staying out until 4am. You know those morning afters where you find yourself thinking, 'Oh dear God' and have flashbacks to the night just gone? It was one of those kind of nights. We sung our hearts out to tunes of the early 2000s and as the bar was closing, I remember us being the only two on the dance floor rapping Sir Mix-A-Lot's, Baby Got Back. Oh, to feel 18 again! The next day rendered me completely unable to do anything all day but watch YouTube and order pizza. Good times! I've definitely become more introverted as I've gotten older, but every once in a while it's fun to let your hair down, lose all inhibitions and just get, well... shit-faced. And if there's anyone who can bring out the crazy in me, it's my best friend.
This post comes written to you from my sister's old bedroom (she took my room when I moved out of home) as I'm currently paying a visit back home to catch up with family and friends. I never thought I would enjoy coming back to little old Perth, but home ends up meaning so much more to you when you don't get to see your loved ones everyday. It's apparently been quite stormy and rainy here, but Perth has been nothing but bright blue skies and sun since my arrival and I can't believe I ever forgot how not cold it is here! I've definitely been enjoying defrosting and taking a break from the harsh cold Melbourne weather. So much so, I haven't needed to wear scarves, coats, jackets or layers here. That's right, bare arms in the middle of winter. I love my sunburnt country.
Blog-wise, a really, really exciting thing happened to me this month. I woke up to find out Bloglovin' had featured me in their '10 Up & Coming Beauty Bloggers You Should Be Following' blog post and I'm still beaming from the news! As one of the biggest platforms used to follow and read blogs, particularly of the beauty, fashion and lifestyle variety, it's such a huge honour and an acknowledgement I never ever would have expected. I'm not the most organised blogger in the world - I never really plan ahead or schedule my blog posts - and it's not because I'm lazy (though I'm not denying I can't be!), but just because it's not exactly an easy hobby and I'm such a perfectionist when it comes to my blog. To be included on a list with nine other incredibly talented girls is an honour and to those of you who congratulated me, your support means the absolute world! I really can't imagine a greater hobby I could love as dearly as I do blogging.
Florence + the Machine, Of Monsters and Men, Ben Browning and Alpine released new albums this month, which were all amazing, but by the far the most exciting thing that happened in music was seeing TV on the Radio live and getting a hug from band member, Kyp Malone! I see a lot of bands live, but nothing like this has ever happened to me before! After the show, he came down to the barrier to hug people in the front row and though I was way too shy to ask for a hug myself, the friendly bouncer pointed me out to him! I couldn't even think of what to say, so he thanked me for coming and I said, "You're welcome. The show was amazing!", which it was. It totally blew me away and after the sad passing of one of their bandmates from cancer, they've come out stronger than ever.
Usually, I’m all about those upbeat summer jams, but this month, I'm mixing up my monthly playlist as I went through my iTunes and found so many great songs with those wintery vibes. Inspired by cold rainy mornings listening to my iPod on the tram, my first visit to Melbourne in the winter of 2011 and listening to I Walk by Mister Lies on repeat, it’s a little moody, dark and very chill (no pun intended). Give it a listen and I hope you enjoy it!
Around the web
- Tamaryn's new track, Cranekiss is absolutely sublime and so super dreamy.
- So much love for Jamie xx right now. He performed Loud Places on French TV programme, Le Grand Journal, and again on Late Night with Seth Meyers with members of Chairlift and Warpaint.
- I'm not normally a fan of vlogs, but Alix's #ICovetJune vlogs have been such a delight to watch.
- I have to admit, Ingrid isn't someone I normally watch on YouTube anymore, but I felt so inspired by her bravery in her Coming Out video and I'm so happy to know she is now living life as her true self. The world can be a sad place sometimes, but it's still wonderful, especially right now for the LBGTIQ community. With Caitlyn Jenner's incredible transformation and gay marriage now legalised in Ireland and the USA, I just hope Australia will be next.
- My good friend Jess got me into makeup decluttering videos on YouTube and they're so refreshing to watch. My favourites have been ItsKeerstin and CaraLeaG's.
- Cut Copy shared their Forest Through The Trees Mixtape free for download on Soundcloud. From Jamie xx, Four Tet and Hot Chip, my favourite band sure do know what good music is, though I can't say I'm surprised.
- I discovered so many talented young artists in FasterLouder's '21 Rising Stars Under 21 Killing It in 2015' feature and I think the girls are especially killing it. Check out Joy, East, Japanese Wallpaper, SOAK and Violet from this awesome list.
- One of my favourite ladies here, Rebecca, featured me in her 'My All Time Favourite Blogs' blog post. Nothing melts my heart more than when fellow bloggers mention my blog on theirs and as someone I truly admire and look up to in the community, I definitely got those warm fuzzy feelings. What a babe!
1. The xx - Fantasy
2. The Verve - Already There
3. My Bloody Valentine - Sometimes
4. Slowdive - Alison
5. Yuck - The Base of a Dream is Empty
6. Tamaryn - I'm Gone
7. Superhumanoids - Bad Weather
8. Warpaint - Undertow
9. Teenager - Alone Again
10. Local Natives - Breakers (Superhumanoids Remix)
11. Ásgeir - Going Home
12. Mister Lies - I Walk (ft. Jessica Blanchet)
13. Teen Daze - Tokyo Winter
14. The Smashing Pumpkins - 1979
15. Shocking Pinks - Dressed to Please
16. CFCF - The Ruined Map
17. How to Dress Well - Cold Nites
18. Porcelain Raft - Is It Too Deep for You?