April only has one day less than the majority of the other months, but somehow, I still feel like it's gone by so incredibly fast. It's been pretty hectic on the social front this month, so much so, I don't think I watched any movies or TV shows, apart from maybe a couple of episodes of Fresh Prince and the Bruce Jenner interview! I caught with a couple of my closest friends from back home, Holly and Anna, who were visiting, and even my family came down to see me; that whole week going by way too quickly. I don't think saying goodbye will ever get any easier, but in times like these, I'm grateful that technology has brought us our family WhatsApp group and FaceTime. Catching up with my loved ones this month involved a little adventure to the Dandenong Ranges, plenty of dim sum and I got to feel like a local showing my family around who had never been.
While I still miss home a lot (more than just the people, I really miss the warm weather!), living in Melbourne never stops being exciting and I'm getting closer towards my goals and dreams as I landed myself a beauty social media internship this month! I've only just started, but I can't wait to find out where it takes me. Apart from that, my bedroom is slowly taking shape and I love my little space more and more. I've been here for just over five months now and though I haven't had the money to do up my bedroom all at once, it's coming along just nicely! I'm planning on doing "tour" type blog posts for each part of my room, and then perhaps an overall room tour as a YouTube video. If you're a little bit nosey like me, you'll love interior blog posts and room tour videos just as much as I do, and I'm excited to show you guys all in good time!
I discovered two wonderful upcoming Australian artists this month - Sunbeam Sound Machine and Japanese Wallpaper. They're relatively new on the scene, but I see big, big these happening to them both. Their music is so dreamy (my favourite adjective to describe music) and I've included my favourite songs by them both in my monthly playlist. You'll particularly love Sunbeam Sound Machine if you're a fan of Tame Impala (whose new album I'm so excited about, by the way). You absolutely must give it a listen because if there's one thing I can confidently say about myself, it's that my taste in music is flawless.
From across the pond over in the US, I also discovered Lower Dens, who make really awesome indie/shoegaze music. I listened to Toro y Moi, Shlohmo and The Wombats' new albums and while I really enjoyed Shlohmo and The Wombats' new stuff, I unfortunately can't say the same for Toro y Moi. He took What For? in an entirely different direction from what made me fall in love with his music and I really miss the chillwave! Shlohmo's new release, Dark Red, is just that - dark, moody, haunting and mysterious. I can't get enough. On the contrary, The Wombats', Glitterbug, is super fun and upbeat.
Collarbones played a show over the Easter long weekend, which my housemate and I went to, and it was so incredible, I've been listening to them non-stop this month. I discovered this electronic duo just last year and even though they're Australian, I never really considered them a band I'd get to see live or even thought about wanting to see live as they're a relatively unknown band. It was a really fun and lively gig that ended with them playing a dubstep version of The O.C. theme song and me ordering too much Lord of the Fries than I could eat. Oops!
Around the web
- 10 Biggest Buzz Bands From SXSW 2015 on FasterLouder. I just love discovering new music and FasterLouder is one of my favourite Australian online publications as I've found some real gems through these guys. Here, I discovered Kate Tempest from the UK, whose track, Closer, is a killer.
- Jen's blog posts on Slow Blogging For Creatives and Why I've Removed All Advertising From My Website. Blogging advice is something I take with a grain of salt as I don't even find it useful or relatable a lot of the time, but Jen's advice is so in-depth and these two particular posts really resonated with me. Blogging advice is always about what you can do to be bigger and better, but reading these posts made me feel like my blog is good enough just the way it is.
- A few of my favourite girls here have really upped their blogging game this month - Natalie's blog had a name change to The Only Ones and both Grace and Rebecca revamped their layouts. Well done, ladies. Loving your work!
- Two of my features went live on A Little Opulent this month - Three Up and Coming Bands to Check Out and Five More French Films.
1. The Wombats - Greek Tragedy
2. CHVRCHES - Dead Air
3. Lower Dens - To Die In L.A.
4. Shlohmo - Meet Ur Maker
5. Collarbones - Die Young (feat. HTML Flowers)
6. Lorde - Yellow Flicker Beat
7. Sunbeam Sound Machine - Real Life
8. Japanese Wallpaper - Forces (ft. Airling)
9. Collarbones - Hypothermia (feat. Guerre)