March has been a pretty up and down month for me. Things are still quite meek on the job front and I'm feeling so stuck and disheartened by it all. It can be hard staying positive when you feel like you're getting nowhere, but I think it's only normal to have bad days and I try my hardest not to let it get to me. I know that this situation is temporary and I guess it's the unknown of when it's going to end that really affects me. If you work in social media and are based in Melbourne, please hook a girl up! Any advice on how to break into the industry is most certainly welcome too.
On a more positive note, my best friend, April, came to visit me earlier this month and it was so lovely to see her again. We went out for Japanese food (it's a country that means a lot to us as we travelled there together), bar hopped around the city drinking cocktails, picnicked at the Royal Botanic Gardens and climbed trees, and drank wine while watching movies together. A few hours before she was due to fly back to Perth, we spontaneously decided to get our rooks pierced and it surprisingly didn't hurt much at all! I've now got eight piercings in my ears and I still want to get my Daith done! I think that's something I'll do when April comes back to visit me in May. My family are also coming to visit me in two weeks before the cold weather sets in and as they've never been to Melbourne (apart from my sister), I'm so excited to show them around! I know they'll just love it here.
I've been making an effort to eat more healthily and exercise regularly this month. It was one of my New Year's Resolutions for 2015 and while it can be a little difficult to do that when people from back home come to visit me and I'm always eating out, on my own, I'm not doing too badly. I've always thought of myself as someone with no patience for cooking, but it's actually quite therapeutic and feels really rewarding to eat a home cooked meal you've prepared for all by yourself. I'm constantly texting and ringing my mum for help, and I did have a traumatic experience with apricot chicken that'll take me a few months to recover from to eat it again, but it's all in good fun and as they say, you learn from your mistakes! I'll probably get to work soon on my post about moving out of home/interstate that I have planned. I hope that'll sort of be something you guys are interested in reading. As for exercise, I'm trying my hardest to do it on a more regular basis and I so badly want to be one of those weirdos who enjoys it! I'm currently doing the 30 Day Shred with Jillian Michaels and I had a go at yoga, though I'm not sure if it's for me as I like exercise to make me feel energised, not sleepy! I am, however, trying out Pilates now and that's definitely something I can see myself continuing with. I'm now finding out what I actually enjoy when it comes to fitness, so it's a good start!
Yumi Zouma released their second EP this month and it's all I've been listening to in March. Just as good as the first EP, I've had Alena on constant repeat as the song is just out of this world beautiful. I had high hopes for Purity Ring and Twin Shadow's new stuff, though it didn't live up to the standards of their previous work. There were still a couple of good tracks from each respective album, but overall, I have to admit, I was left feeling slightly disappointed. I got into an indie rock band called Childhood this month, whose song, Blue Velvet, I just adore, and after what's felt like forever, Jamie xx has finally announced a debut LP! From the singles he's released over the years, I just know it's going to be incredible and his song, Loud Places, with fellow bandmate from The xx, Romy Madley Croft, is just sublime. Check out the music video for the song here. While you're at it, watch FKA twigs' music video for her new song, Glass & Patron, also. She directed the music video for the YouTube Music Awards and it's absolutely mesmerising.
Film and television
I finally got around to watching the final season of Parks and Recreation and not to spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet, everything was so well done and just so beautiful and perfect. I cried in almost every episode of season 7 and I'm so sad to see the last remaining of my favourite sitcoms come to an end. Having said that though, I'm glad it finished out on top. On other TV shows ending, Mad Men premiers its last remaining episodes next week, so with that, I got around to watching the beginning of the final season and I'm constantly blown away by how good this show is. It's not exactly an easy watch kind of show, but every episode is so addictive and I just want more. All my favourite TV shows are ending all at once it seems, and now I don't know what to do with myself. Seriously going to miss that Don Draper eye candy.
As I've been really into my TV, I didn't watch many movies this month, but the ones I did were Children of Men, We Need to Talk About Kevin, Tootsie and St. Vincent. Jennifer actually recommended We Need to Talk About Kevin to me as we're both really into messed up movies... is that weird? Tilda Swinton gave such an amazing performance and it's the kind of film that'll make you think about what you'd do if faced in that kind of situation. On the contrary, Tootsie and St. Vincent were fun, light-hearted comedies and the ending of the latter had me bawling my eyes out because it was just so sweet and heartwarming. You really can't go wrong with a bit of Bill Murray.
Around the web
- Knowing how much I love Wes Anderson, my friend linked me to 8 Charming Commercials directed by him. I'd only seen the Prada Candy ones before and they're definitely still my favourite! What can I say, I am a beauty blogger, after all.
- Andrew Denton talks about why you should go phone free. Something I've never considered, his words about daydreaming, curating vs. creating and actually being someone really resonated with me.
- I've really been loving Camey's blog, La Petite Primp, this month. Her musings on beauty are witty and charming, and she's ever so lovely! Check out her posts, Playing Favourites and Let's Chat #1: Existential Crises of the Vainest Variety.
- Lisa of Style with Lisa shared her 2015 Beauty Wish List and it's oh, so dreamy. Go show Lisa some love and make her blog more!
- 18 Signs You're a Little Too Obsessed with Friends on Thought Catalog. This spoke to me on so many levels. Every single one of them.
- My girl, Jennifer of Beauty by Jnfr, has been on a blogging kick this month and it makes me so happy! She did an amazing makeup look in her post called Today's Makeup Look that I just simply have to have a go at recreating! Girl's got talent.
- My darling Tamira of The Guilty Girl featured me in her post, Friday Shared: Tension, saying how much she loved my In the Red post. One day we will meet and I will bring her all the Tim Tams. One day.
- 22 Perfect Feelings Only True Music Lovers Can Appreciate on Thought Catalog.
1. Alpine - Villages
2. Yumi Zouma - Alena
3. Real Estate - It's Real
4. Childhood - Blue Velvet
5. Tame Impala - Let It Happen
6. Twin Shadow - Old Love / New Love (feat. D'Angelo Lacy)
7. Purity Ring - Push Pull
8. SBTRKT - nO less
9. Teen Daze - Reykjavik, January 2015
10. Caribou - Sun