My last Life Lately post of the year! I'm actually kind of proud of myself for keeping up with these posts every month this year and I hope you've enjoyed reading them just as much as I've enjoyed writing them. I love reading these sort of life update posts from other bloggers and I'll definitely be bringing mine back in 2016. I've thought about switching up the name just because everyone uses "Life Lately", but alliteration always sounds nice and I'm stuck for ideas!
I hope everyone had an amazing Christmas! What do you all have planned for New Years? I'll be spending the evening at Print Hall bar with some friends for a James Bond theme night, which should be a lot of fun! New Years Day will then be spent recovering from my inevitable hangover. Not so fun.
2015 has been a pretty meh year for me. Finding work outside of retail continues to haunt me and to quote the Friends theme song, it feels like I'm "always stuck in second gear". I don't know anymore. It sucks, but I try my hardest not to dwell on the sucky stuff and I'm hoping 2016 will be more my year. I made New Year's Resolutions this year, none of which, admittedly, were achieved, but I think I set the bar way too high for myself, it overwhelmed me. Next year, I want to focus on one thing at a time and take baby steps. Apart from that, I survived my first year living away from home (there have been many teary goodbyes at the airport, though I think living on the other side of the country has actually made me closer to my family), I made some really awesome friends in Melbourne who've taught me a lot, make me laugh and have made me feel so welcome in such a big city, maintained friendships with those here in Perth and I'm really proud of the content I've put up here on my blog. It's been amazing fun going to so many gigs too and I can't wait to blog more and gig more in 2016! In the grand scheme of things, I really can't complain because even though I haven't landed a job I want just yet, I have everything else in my life to be thankful for.
There weren't any new music releases in December, but I did finally get around to listening to Toro y Moi's Mixtape called Samantha. I think I put off listening to it because I wasn't a fan of What For?, his album released earlier in the year, but I was pleasantly surprised by Samantha. I also discovered a band called Still Corners, whose song, Horses at Night, is super chill. Gorilla vs. Bear call them "the ideal band for an 80s prom", which couldn't be more accurate! I'm looking forward to getting more into these guys.
On my flight back home last week, I rediscovered my love for The Cure's album, Disintegration. I was absolutely obsessed with this album a few years ago and with my earphones in, sipping on a green tea all while attempting to get into a comfortable position to fall asleep in, I never felt so content. It sounds kind of lame, but it's the little things, right?
Since I didn't listen to much this month, I thought I'd compile a Spotify playlist of my favourite music discoveries of 2015. Happy listening!
Film and television
I watched quite a few Christmas films in December and while I thought Scrooged and The Nightmare Before Christmas were simply okay (not bad, but I didn't think they were great either), I rounded up my favourites in my Festive Films post earlier in the month.
After promising myself I'd read the book before I saw the film, I caved and ended up watching The Fault in Our Stars. I am honestly the worst at reading books. In fact, I don't think I've ever read a book before seeing the movie! I know, I know, I'm a terrible person, but I'm going to make it a goal of mine to read more in 2016 and spend less time in front of my computer screen. 2016 will be the year I finally read Harry Potter! I really want to try Butter Beer one day and I can't unless I read the books first or else I'll feel like such a phoney. Anyway! Back on topic. The Fault in Our Stars. It was a sappy teen love story and it didn't really feel like anything original, but I cried a lot and I love a good cry.
Some other movies I enjoyed watching this month were Groundhog Day, Up in the Air and The Hours, as well as Karl Lagerfeld's short film on Coco Chanel called Once and Forever, which you can watch for yourself here. I'm not the biggest fan of Kristen Stewart, but it's eleven minutes worth of beautiful costumes and makeup, and I can definitely appreciate that.
Around the web
- Great news for movie fans! Bill Murray will be playing a dog in Wes Anderson's upcoming Japanese-inspired, stop-motion film and Quentin Tarantino says Kill Bill 3 is a possibility. I can't wait to find out more!
- Blood Orange wrote a song for Sandra Bland called Sandra's Smile and it's beautiful.
- As a former Advertising student and a Daft Punk fan, these Daft Punk merchandise ads are just the coolest!
- Winona Ryder is the new face of Marc Jacobs Beauty and I can't think of anyone more fitting.
- I loved these two music videos I discovered this month - Yumi Zouma's, Second Wave, and CHVRCHES', Empty Threat.
- While I'm a much bigger fan of old school The Simpsons, I'm so looking forward to seeing the TV show's spoof on Boyhood.
- Triple J released a trailer for the Hottest 100 and it's epic! Flight Facilities flying a plane and Foals' frontman, Yannis Philippakis, asking, "What went down?" - clever!
- Twin Peaks is coming back in 2017! In the meantime, check out this mashup of Everytime by Britney Spears and the Twin Peaks theme song. It's actually really good.
- My beautiful friend Mel, featured me in her Who and What Inspired Me in 2015 blog post! I'm so grateful and so proud of the strong women in my life who constantly lift me up and make me want to be a better person. Thank you, Mel!
- Beauty and film are two of my favourite things and I absolutely loved this article on Into the Gloss. They could've talked about so many more looks though, like Julianne Moore's makeup in A Single Man. Directed by Tom Ford, no less.
- I discovered the lovely Allana Davison on YouTube this month and her taste in makeup is just spot on. Plus, I could listen to her Canadian accent all day!