The first month of 2015 saw me jet-setting off back and forth between Melbourne and Perth and at this rate, I'm beginning to feel like I live in two different cities! Obviously, I went home for the holidays and while I initially hadn't planned to, I ended up going back for my mum's 50th birthday as she didn't want to celebrate without me. Bless. It was a milestone birthday though and I know I would've felt really down had I not been there. It was such a wonderful night spent with family, friends and too much wine, which saw us bringing in Australia Day in true drunken Aussie form with a Macca's run. Being away from home is so much harder than I thought it would be, but I'm only a four hour plane ride away, which could be a lot worse. It makes me wonder if Melbourne will be forever, but nothing is ever set in stone and while I'm here, I need to make the most of it and remember why I moved. I need to get into a routine and discipline myself a lot harder with my job applications. It is truly the worst!
I said in my New Year's Resolutions post that I was going to India this month, though that didn't end up happening, unfortunately. Long story short, it was more difficult and financially unviable than my friend, Nicole, and I initially anticipated and we both had a gut feeling that it just didn't feel right anymore. It's super disappointing and I'm so sad I wasn't there to celebrate our friend's wedding, but I'm keeping positive that I'll travel there one day with all my friends. In the meantime, I'm going to concentrate saving up for America.
In happy news, my housemate adopted a little kitty! He is the cutest little terror of a kitten I have ever encountered and when he's not clawing my back trying to climb up on me to get to my food or chewing my housemate's laptop charger so it no longer works, he is just so precious. His name is Garfunkel aka Funky aka Funk (after my housemate's favourite band, Simon & Garfunkel) and I'm sure he'll make an appearance on my blog soon when he decides to sit still for one moment!
I've pretty much had Childish Gambino on repeat in January. I fell in love with V. 3005 a few months back and after watching the music video to Sober, I then fell in love with that song also, and decided to check out all of his albums and EPs. Suffice it to say, I was super impressed and I never would have imagined I would love hip hop again as I thought those days in high school were long gone. Donald Glover is the man behind the music mastermind, but he's an actor and a writer too, making him a truly talented artist. He was a writer for 30 Rock, which if you didn't know, is one of the best TV shows ever.
I also really enjoyed listening to Panda Bear's new album, Panda Bear Meets The Grim Reaper, my favourite song being Mr Noah. I saw two of my favourite bands ever live, Tycho and Glass Animals, and they were both such insane shows! Tycho's music was dreamy as ever and transformed beautifully as a live performance. It was a chilled out show, but still danceable and his music makes me dream of sunsets. Glass Animals put on a really upbeat show, the lead singer performing without any shoes on and bouncing on stage to off the stage as he sung. To finally hear Gooey live was absolutely incredible as it was my favourite song of 2014.
Film and television
My 'films to watch' list just keeps getting longer and longer, I can't keep up and it's overwhelming. With The Oscars coming up, I just want to watch all the movies. I've been watching a few oldies from the '80s and '90s including The Wedding Singer (aka Adam Sandler's only good movie), You've Got Mail, Se7en (this movie freaked the hell out of me!) and Mystic Pizza. A more recent one I watched is the French film, Populaire, which was actually recommended to me by a reader of A Little Opulent after I wrote my post, Five French Films months ago. Well, I finally got around to watching it and oh my gosh, it is the cutest little film I have ever seen! It was just pure joy. I'm not the biggest fan of romantic comedies as I find them overly sappy, but Populaire sure did tug on my heart strings. Not that I expected anything less, anyway, as Romain Duris is one of my favourite French actors and Déborah François is adorable here. It's sweet, but not sickly, funny, cute and as it's set in the '50s, the cinematography is vibrant and playful. Ugh, this country. Everything about it is just so perfect.
In television, my housemate and I have been watching Dawson's Creek and while it's truly terrible, I cannot stop watching. Who does Joey end up with? Will Dawson fulfil his dream of becoming a filmmaker? I cannot wait to find out! I also began watching The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. I always caught snippets of this show on TV, so I'm making an effort to watch the entire series as I found it so funny from what I watched back in the day, when I watched TV on an actual TV. One day I'll make the time for Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad, but for now, I'm having fun living in the past.
Around the web
I thought I would incorporate a new segment into my Life Lately posts as I've seen a few of my favourite bloggers do this and it's such a neat idea. There's so much more to the Internet than beauty blogs and I want to share all those snippets I find from around the web with you all too. Don't worry, I'll still be including my favourite blogs and blog discoveries with you all here as I still love sharing those with you and it's important too, I think.
- I was featured on Grace's Recommended Reading blog post this month, Natalie's, Blogs Worth Bookmarking, as well as Rebecca's, Some of My Favourite Instagrammers. Three gorgeous girls whose blogs I simply adore and feel so honoured that they enjoy mine, also. Big kiss emojis for these lovely ladies!
- 31 Things Only Friends Fans Will Appreciate according to Buzzfeed. Perfect, amazing and hilarious just like the show itself.
- The beauty angels from above have listened and Urban Decay is finally coming to Australia, exclusively to Mecca Maxima! THIS IS NOT A DRILL, PEOPLE. They read my Australian Beauty blog post, obviously.
- Jaye's blog post, Thoughts On: Why You Won't See a Blogging Advice Post on My Blog. Thought-provoking and something I completely agree with.
- Purity Ring's video for new song, Push Pull. Their debut album, Shrines, released in 2012 was incredible, so I've got high hopes for Another Eternity. The new albums drops on the 3rd of March and I cannot wait!
- 39 New Year’s Resolutions For All Music Fans. Scroll down to #25 and click the link to watch Daniel Radcliffe rapping. WHOA.
- Forget Advance Australia Fair, this is the National Anthem of Straya (to the tune of Hey Ya! by Outkast).
- The Loop’s blog post on Defence Mechanisms and Self-Sabotage. The paragraph about 'Avoiding challenges and staying in a comfortable place' particularly resonated with me.
1. Panda Bear - Mr Noah
2. Childish Gambino - Freaks And Geeks
3. Disclosure - Latch (feat. Sam Smith)
4. Glass Animals - Pools
5. Childish Gambino - Sober
6. Bat For Lashes - A Wall
7. Thom Yorke - Youwouldn'tlikemewhenI'mangry
8. Tycho - Hours
9. Jamie xx - Sunrise